Perfect Dinner on a Chilly Night…
Whenever it is really cold outside I always want a meal that is not only hardy, but has a little spice to it. This Coconut Curry Shrimp dish has a bunch of spices that will warm you from the inside out and become a family favorite on those cold winter nights.
Here is what you will need:
- ½ of a medium sweet onion – chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic – minced.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of ginger – minced.
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes – juice and all.
- 1 can of coconut milk – unsweetened.
- 1½ lbs of large shrimp.
- 1 bag of fresh baby spinach.
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
- 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- 1 teaspoon garam masala – this can be hard to find, so if you don’t have it, substitute it with another teaspoon of curry powder and a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Cilantro – chopped for garnish
Here is what you need to do:
Saute your onion, garlic and ginger in a little olive oil for a few minutes.
Add in your diced tomatoes and coconut milk.
Give everything a good stir and bring together for a few more minutes over medium heat.
Time for some spice. Add in the curry powder, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Give it all a good stir and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, toss your shrimp in the ½ teaspoon of Cajun seasoning.
When the sauce has come to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and add in your shrimp.
Then add in the bag of baby spinach. Give a good stir and cook for 10 minutes.
Check to see if any more salt or pepper is needed.
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro