In my opinion, my special friend Rebecca makes the best Matzo Ball Soup I have ever tasted!! Everyone in my family loves it and I was so excited when she agreed to come over and share it with me.
Here is what you will need:
- 10 cups water
- 4 packs of Goya chicken bouillon packets – I think its pretty safe to say this is where the untraditional part comes in 😉
- Pack of soup greens
- 3 grilled chicken breast – This is where I would use one of those nicely cooked rotisserie chickens from the supermarket
- 1 teaspoon of dried dill
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Now For the Matzo:
This is the brand Rebecca requested.
- packet of Manischewitz mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- sprinkle of dill
- Seltzer for your hands when you are rolling the matzo mix into balls – Rebecca was not sure if this was from her Grandmother or Aunt, but it helps make one yummy matzo ball
Here is what you need to do:
In a small bowl mix the Manischewitz mix, eggs, veggie oil and sprinkle of dill. Store in refrigerator and start working on the broth.
Next, mix water and chicken bouillon packets and bring to a boil.
Chop up your soup greens and add to the broth along with garlic powder and pepper. Cover and simmer on med-low heat.
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to soup. Keep simmering on med-low heat. Rebecca informed me that her Grandmother would always cook the soup with a vented lid, so that is what we are going to do. Meanwhile bring 10 cups of cold water to a boil and lets start working on our matzo balls.
Remove matzo ball mix from refrigerator and start rolling them into one inch balls. Remember to keep your hands wet with seltzer water to make your matzo balls nice and yummy!!! You should get 9-10 balls out of the mixture.
How cute is my Happy platter that Rebecca gave me for my birthday.
Add the matzo balls to the boiling water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
When the 20 minutes are done, scoop out your balls and add to the soup.
Time to serve it up.
This soup can be easily doubled and freezes beautifully.
My beautiful friend Rebecca not only has a fabulous smile, but the most loving heart. There is not a day that goes by that I am not thankful for having her in my life.
Love You Becs…